Vegan Lavender-Chocolate Chip Cookies (Chewy)
1 ½ - 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (use the extra ½ if batter is too wet)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (I used coarse pink Himalayan salt)
3/4 cup Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread, melted (I used about 1 Tbsp less than this)
1 1/2 cups of raw sugar
1 teaspoon molasses
1/2 teaspoon agave nectar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 tablespoon real vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoon EnerG Egg Replacer + 3 Tbsp water, combined
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoon+ dried lavender
1. Preheat oven to 325°F and prep your cookie sheets with parchment paper. Sift together the flour and baking soda. Add the salt separately if it is coarse, otherwise sift it too. Set aside.
2. Combine the melted Earth Balance with the sugar, molasses and agave in a mixing bowl. I don't have a mixer and so I make sure to beat this well, doing it by hand. There should be no separation between the sugar and melted margarine or you will get oily cookies.
3. Add the vanilla, cinnamon and EnerG mixture and give them a good beating, again, if you're doing this by hand.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix just until combined (don't overmix, flour doesn't like that.)
5. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and the dried lavender. Taste the dough (which you can do because there are no eggs!) and add more lavender if you like.
6. Measure 1/4 cup per cookie and give them a few inches to expand on the tray. Bake for approx 15 minutes and then remove and allow to sit on the pan another 10 minutes or so. These cookies are crisp on the outside, dense and chewy on the inside: a perfect chocolate chip cookie with a twist. The sweetness makes the lavender taste amazing, and no one will know they're vegan.
Check this recipe out if you're not up for vegan baking.
Lavender is also fantastic in tea. The dried flowers soothe digestive upsets and contain constituents beneficial in hypertension, cardiac disorders, insomnia, melancholy, dizziness and asthma. For sufferers of headaches, anxiety attacks, rheumatic pain and distension, try a cup of hot lavender tea (1tsp per cup of boiled water) or put several drops of the essential oil on your pillow at night.